Family pic 2013

Family pic 2013

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Priorities

I've been putting off writing this post, because I'm pregnant and emotional about things :)
When we decided in July that Devry would take his job in Wyoming, we knew it would bring tons of changes in our life.
Then in August we found out we were pregnant, and knew it would bring even more changes.
Then in September, we found out we were having Twins, and knew it would bring more changes then we ever could have anticipated.
Although all of these things meant changes, we knew we were making the right decisions, and the changes would be ones we could handle!
After a few months of Devry being gone to work....I realized that to be able to handle all of the changes, I needed to get my life back to basics, and prioritize better.
I had too many responsibilities, and my family needed to be put first.
So I began making some changes.
I was teaching the 3-4 year olds at Church, and asked to be released.
I told my boss I was going to cut back at work after the twins are born.
These things weren't too hard.
But then we began realizing our dogs needed more attention then we were able to give them.
The summer time was perfectly fine. Payton and I were outside with them every day, playing with them tons.
But then when if got cold, we didn't go out as much.
We tried everything to make it work.
Devry fenced in our back yard so they had much more room to run and play.
He was out with them a ton when he was home.
But they kept figuring out ways to get out. Probably because they were bored, and we weren't with them enough. We couldn't afford a nice privacy fence, and the wire fence just wasn't holding them in.
Most days I went out for 5 minutes or less with them. To give them food and water.
I debated letting them be inside more..But I really don't want to have more cleaning to do from them shedding, and getting mud and snow on my floors. And they love being outside, and having someone to play with.
After alot of debate...Devry and I very hesitantly agreed that they needed to be in a home that would give them the love and attention they deserve.
I had a hard time with this decision.
I really love these dogs.
We have had them both since they were puppies.
They are so sweet, obedient, gentle with kids, and loving.
And since they are so wonderful, we knew they deserved so much more then we have been able to give them the last 6 months.
If I knew it would improve, I would never even consider finding them new homes.
But adding 2 babies will make it even worse.
Plus, we are so undecided and unsure of our plans for the next couple years. Having two large dogs will make renting much more difficult, if thats what we need to do.
So I put an ad in the classifieds, kind of hoping no one would respond.
We had several calls the first few days.
And found them a wonderful home.
With a lady who recently lost her husband, and needed companionship.
who has a beautiful fenced in acre of a yard...with a real vinyl privacy fence.
She came to see them and absolutely fell in love with them. And I could tell right away that she would be giving them the love and attention they need. Before she even got them, she had appointments to take them to the vet, and the groomer. Asked every single question about what they eat, what they like, where they sleep, everything! She was obviously going to spoil them rotten!
So we met her in Pocatello on our way to Utah last week.
And I cried my eyes out.
And dreaded seeing them go.
But I knew they would be going to a home where they would be given what they need.
So we said good bye.

I will miss these two wonderful dogs so much!
We enjoyed having them as puppies,
And seeing them grow.
And having 3 litters of puppies.
And watching Payton play and LOVE them.
That is probably the hardest part. Payton does not understand where they are, and continues to ask for them. They were so gentle with him. And tolerated so much fur, tail and ear pulling. Payton would jump on them, try to ride them like a horse, push them, hit them. And all they did was affectionately take it, then lick him.
We will miss them a ton, but know we are doing the right thing for them, and us.




3 comments:

lisa h. said...

I'm sorry, that is really hard. I'm glad you found a good owner, and she took both of them.

Christa said...

I kind of know how you feel. Our dog got out at New Years and we haven't been able to find her. On the one hand, it's a kind of a blessing in disguise in that we have to rent when we get to Oregon and the house that we applied for doesn't allow pets, but on the other hand I really miss her. I really hope she found a good home with kids who love her. :(

Jeannette & Brandt said...

I am so sorry Chels! This post made me cry. That is such a tough decision to make, but I am glad that you guys were able to find such a good home for them.