Family pic 2013

Family pic 2013

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Decisions.

Time feels like it is flying by!
Is it really Christmas in 15 days?
I have felt like the past 4 months have just flown by.
Yet the time drags on when Devry is gone.
How does that work? How can time fly and drag at the same time.

Devry has had some changes in his job that is both good and bad.
He has been training in the "shop" since August.
They decided he is ready to go out and be a "Frac" mechanic.
I didn't understand any of the terms...very briefly the "Frac" crew work to fracture the ground and put a pipe down to get the natural gas or oil. All they do is the fracture part and another company comes in and does the rest. Each crew has about 30 people on it, and tons of semi's and equipment that is involved. So Devry is the mechanic on the crew. He is training with another guy for a few weeks, then will be solely responsible to fix anything that breaks or malfunctions (that can be fixed on the site). Its a pretty big responsibility. I am so proud of him for working so hard and learning things so fast that they feel he is ready so soon.
So this change means a ton of changes for us.
First off, his hours will increase a ridiculous amount. While in the shop he was working 9, 13ish hour days, then had 5 off. For now he is keeping that schedule but on his 9 days on he will go out with the Frac crew. They work about 16-18 hours a day.
Once he is done training, he will switch to a different schedule. He will work for 2 weeks, then be off for 1. The first week he works he will be out with the crew. The second week he will be in the shop. The week off is going to be paid (right now his 5 days off aren't paid).
So the good and bad of all of this.

Good:
  • The money is amazing. He will almost triple his income. It has completely taken away the stress I had about paying for the twins, and surviving without my income. I am excited I get to be a stay at home mom when I have them (Although I will try to stay PRN, to keep my skills up)
  • It will give him so much experience. He will get to learn everything in the field, and continue to work on the more in depth problems while in the shop. It will give him such a wide knowledge base of everything. He will be working so many hours and therefore getting tons of experience.
  • He gets 17 paid weeks off a year!

Bad:

  • The hours make it so we won't get to talk. They travel from rock springs everyday to the site they are working. It is usually an hour or two away, and in the middle of nowhere. There usually isn't cell service. He leaves between 2 and 5 am..and doesn't get home till around 7-10pm. We won't talk much. He will probably Never talk to Payton during that week.
  • He will be 6-8 hours away from home the weeks he is in the field. That scares me since my labor with Payton was 7 hours. I am really scared he will miss it.
  • He will be gone 14 days at a time. 9 seemed like forever. 14 is going to be hard.
  • He has to work in the freezing cold (although he has worked outside his entire life, so he doesnt' seem to worry too much about this part).

Anyways, we really are excited that he will gain experience, and our income will be significantly more. We are debating how long term this will be, and whether it is best for us to be apart, or if we should move there. I am having a very difficult time saying good bye lately. The days he is leaving I feel like I am emotionally on the edge all day. I loose it over the tiniest thing. I am not coping well with it all. When I actually have to say goodbye, I cannot hold it together. I know prego hormones are contributing a ton, but I don't see it getting any easier. Payton and I do fine while he is gone. We miss him like CRAZY, but we have our routine and it works. I get overwhelmed and stressed sometimes near the end of his time away. I am very nervous about doing it with 2 more babies. However, moving there means I know no one. And if Devry is working 17 plus hours a day, its not like I would get his help anyways. So maybe it is better to stay here where I have family, friends, co-workers and neighbors all willing to help me out. Who knows! All decisions we are trying to make!

I will for sure be staying here until after the babies are born. We need to stay here until February to avoid paying a large penalty on our house. Plus, I have not heard great things about the hospital in Rock Springs, and I love my Dr. I will not switch. Most likely I will stay here and use people's help the first few months. Then my mom will come in July, and we may go visit Nova Scotia in August. We are thinking that if we move there it may be in September or October, when the babies are a little older, and perhaps sleeping through the night? Hopefully we can sell our house and not have to stress about that. So many unanswered questions. So many decisions to make.

I am so incredibly grateful for Devry. He is the most hardworking, devoted husband in the world. I feel so badly for the crazy hours he has to work. He never complains. Ever. He willingly works his butt off so that our family can be provided for. And so I don't have to work after I have these babies. I know the hours and his job is harder then he will ever let on. I know being away from us makes it so difficult for him. I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful husband who does it all without complaint or negativity.

I sure do love that guy!

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Chelsey! It's so fun to read your blog! Congratulations on your two new babies! I hope everything continues to go well. Where are you living?

jenn said...

Wow, my head is spinning just reading that! You are doing a good job keeping your perspective open and have the right attitude. You do have a lot to be grateful for....but also a lot on your plate. I am sure it will all work out:)

Jeannette & Brandt said...

Wow that is awesome Chels! Tell Devry congrats! I honestly dont know how you do it...you are super mom! I hope that you can find the answers you're looking for...I am sure that it isn't easy, but I hope that it gets better!!

lisa h. said...

that is really hard. i'm sorry. it's not very fun to have your husband gone so much. well, try to relax. it will work out!

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Exciting news!!! Congrats to Devry! I dont know how much the insight is worth but I'd much rather see Nate every night, even if it is only for a few hours then have to be apart for so long. You know what it's like being away- HARD! I can't imagine doing it with three kids, but I've done it pregnant with two toddlers and it stinks! I'd say, sure you'd have some help during the days from family/friends and such, but ultimately you're going to miss your husband and there's just something about seeing him every night that brings happiness. I don't doubt that the ward you move into will be more than willing to lend a hand too! Good Luck!!