The doctor comes back in and says "you know the deal...labs and an NST." ( I think the doctors like that they don't have to explain everything they are doing because its all familiar to me....an NST is a nonstress test. They put the baby on the heartrate monitor and look to make sure his heartrate is good.) Then he measures my belly.....and Im measuring 2 1/2 weeks ahead! Yet another thing to add to the growing list of problems. He told me he wanted to do an ultrasound to check his size. First I go down and get hooked up for the NST. That was kind of funny because the nurse I had seen the whole time came in with another nurse. Apparantly the new nurse didn't know how to do this. The more experienced nurse asked me if I knew how the monitors worked. I simply said yes...then she was like "oh so you must have had them hooked up before", I was like "no, I'm a labor and delivery nurse." Then the new nurse looks at me and says "you must really think I'm an idiot then." I assured her that I didnt, and was glad they were double checking things with my blood pressure being up. I think it made her even more nervous, because when it came time for her to draw labs, she looks at my arms (and I don't have great veins for drawing blood), and says "I'm not even going to try, I'll go get someone else." Well... The NST was fine. On to the biophysical profile (ultrasound). The tech first made sure he was still a boy (that was nice of her :) ), then went and measured various parts of his body (femer, abdomen, head, etc). From this she could tell me how big he is. He was measuring right about 7lbs, which is not near as big as the doctor feared. 7lbs at 37.2 weeks is in the 64th percentile. The tech said that if I go to my due date he will probably be around 8lbs....still to big in my mind. Hopefully Payton will be nice to his mommy and come a little early before he hits the 8lbs mark. The ultrasound also tests the bloodflow from the placenta to the baby, and his movements. He "passed with flying colors" as the doctor put it. I went back into another room (this is room change number 5)...and I hear the doctor ask a nurse to come in and recheck my blood pressure. This time it was a different nurse....probably my favorite one that works there. She comes in and says "I hate the blood pressure cuff in this room, I'm going to get a better one." She comes back and checks with a different cuff...120/64. Just fine. The doctor comes in, and tells me my labs are all great. Im thinking at this point, did I just get a million VERY expensive tests done because the blood pressure cuff she used isn't good?!?! Well the doctor told me he wants me to come back in every 3-4 days to have my blood pressure checked, and to check the baby. He also told me to check it on my own at work whenever I get a chance to sit down for a few minutes. He gave me permission to finish my last few shifts of work as long as my blood pressure stays ok, but while I am at home I am supposed to restrict my activity (basically sit on my but with my feet up and watch movies and read books). So here I am...sitting on my butt blogging when there are dishes, vacumming, organizing, and a million other things I wish I could be doing. One thing I know, when I go into the office on friday for a blood pressure check I am asking the nurse who took it last to do it so I know its accurate. Devry got out of class to come to my appointment with me and told his teacher it would be a quick appointment (which it was supposed to be)....then an hour and a half he makes it back to class. Luckily his teacher is very understanding. I;m glad that although we hit a few complications, Payton is still looking perfectly healthy and I'm still feeling fine. Hopefully everything keeps going ok, and he comes without any more problems.
I am finished his nursery and made a bunch of blankets and burp clothes that I will post pictures of.
And this is the minke blanket I made. It is sooo soft!!
I am working on 2 more blankets, which I will post pictures of when I am done.
5 comments:
You know, I have a hard time with blood pressures that are elevated in the office. You know how that usually goes, they are sky-high in the office, they dash over to L&D and they're fine. I think you should spot-check your blood pressure at work, and I bet they're ok. That poor new nurse with the crappy cuff. ;)
Gosh that is scary!!! I'm glad everything turned out okay! Your nursery looks great, the baskets turned out perfect!
Wow that would have been a scary experience! you could have had your little payton here in no time if those pressures would have kept up! good thing they didnt! your nursery is adorable!
I'm so sorry, your blood pressure was probably up from watching my kids all weekend! They do create a high rise in me everyday you know! Haha. Glad everything came down though. I love those burp cloths, blankets, and baskets! You've got the universe working for you! Great finds!
When I was prego with Kaden I was 37 weeks and really swollen. It was august and really hot. I showed the nurse that my swelling had started to pit and she freaked out on me. I was like woah!! I'm 37 weeks. She looked at my chart and as like oh, I though you were only 25 weeks. Yeah that would be a problem. So I guess some nurses over-react and some under-react.
Post a Comment