I finally have a day off! I have been working the past 7 days in a row, 12 hour shifts each day, and I am enjoying being able to sit and relax for the first time in a week. I started in labor and delivery last thursday. I absolutely love it...but I am VERY overwhelmed right now. There are so many things to learn, and since it has been very busy, I haven't had any real structure in learning. One day I will have one type of patient, then later that day 5 women will walk in in labor and I will switch patients 3 times before ever getting a grasp on what I was trying to do. Luckily I am always paired with another nurse who will follow up with me on everything I do, but time for teaching is limited. Hopefully it will slow down in a few weeks so I can have time to breath and take in the things I'm learning. The one thing I have learned for sure....I have absolutely NO desire to EVER try to have a baby without an epidural! I have heard way to many women screaming and crying in the last week to ever want to go through that. I admire those women who are tough enough to have natural labor...but I am definately not one of them.
Devry is into potato harvest now, so he has been working very long hours as well. He found an internship with a local car dealership and will start at the beginning of November. We really lucked out with it because Internships typically dont pay very much at all, but this dealership wants Devry to work for them through the rest of school and then after he graduates, so they will pay him pretty decent. Of course his wages will go up when he graduates, but it is a whole lot better then a $3 an hour internship that ends in 3 months. This month will be his last working on the farm. He has worked there for almost 8 years. I am sure he will still help them out some, but hopefully from this internship he can start his career.
I bought tickets to go see Natalie MacMaster this saturday. She is performing on campus! She is a Nova Scotian musician who plays celtic music. I saw that she was coming and had to get tickets. Her music reminds me so much of home, and I wanted Devry to hear it too.
4 comments:
In my personal opinion, having had an epi. women who think they are proving a point to those around them by not getting the needle are only in far more pain than those who do get it. It doesn't hurt the baby, why not enjoy your labor & delivery. I LOVED mine.
if I were there I'd totally go see Natalie with you! How fun! I miss that kind of culture just being apart of everyday life!
Haha, that's what you get for living in very fertile Rexburg! lol It's like one long L&D! lol
9 months ago WAS Semester break (and Christmas)...think about it. lol (it's twice as funny since I'm almost ready to pop too) =)
Post a Comment