It has been a VERY crazy month for our family.
On September 15th, Devry's Parents and Brothers we SO kind and helped us pack the Uhaul and move to Rock Springs. We didn't want Devry to have to get off work, drive home, pack up and drive right back, so we did it without him. They were so willing and helpful!
Backtracking a little...After we found out our house had sold, I started looking for some place to live. We thought we would stay with Devry's brother and his family for a few months and move to Rock Springs in November. They so willingly offered their home to us. I started looking for a place for November. There was nothing. Every landlord I talked to said almost all the rentals would be gone by september, october at the latest. It is hard to find housing in Rock Springs. So I started calling on some places, and over and over again they were snatched up within a day. Finally I found a newly remodled townhouse, that was a great price. I talked to the landlord a ton, and she answered all my questions, sent me pictures, etc. We got the townhouse and were really excited!
Back to moving day...We arrived at our new townhouse. They unloaded the UHaul. Devry arrived monday morning. The townhouse was smaller then we thought it would be. It was supposed to be 1700 sq feet....really it was MAYBE 1500 including the unfinished basement. I had been told by the landlord that although the basement was unfinished it would be great to use for a play area for Payton, to ride his bike, drive his trucks etc. I had counted on that. Upon arriving, I discovered not only that the basement only had one small light, and was mostly dark, but it had bolts sticking out of the walls, and parts of the walls falling off. Not what I would consider a safe play area. So minus the basement, we only had a max of 1000 sq feet of living space and a very small fenced in area (that was all dirt). Really...we could have made it work, except for the few things that happened over the next week. First off..the feeling in the neighborhood was not good. Our immediate next door neighbors were very trashy, and were constantly screaming and yelling and cussing at their kids. Through the paper thin walls it sounded as though they were in the next room. The same kids were scoping out Payton's toys and made me really nervous they would come take them. The cops were in the neighborhood 3 times in a matter of 4 days....one time with 3 cop cars. We felt SO unsafe. It was not the type of neighborhood we wanted to be in, and Devry didn't feel comfortable at all leaving us there for 2/6 weeks. I didn't feel safe letting payton play outside at all, or going for walks with the kids. We kind of started looking at other places. The last straw was when we decided one evening to walk up to the great park that was a couple of blocks away. On the way up we passed a disabled man in a wheelchair with his dog. His dog started barking, and seemed really mean. It was on a leash so we just kept walking. We played at the park, then the same man brought his dog to the park and let it off the leash. Devry didn't like how the dog was acting, so we decided to leave. While walking home we looked and saw the man driving his wheelchair back down the street with the dog off the leash behind him. We kept walking, but the dog took off after us and began barking very aggressively trying to snap at us. Devry handed me the Bob and told me to take the kids home. The dog bit him, luckily Devry saw it coming and moved so it didn't really hurt him. It kept snapping at him and wouldn't back off. Another neighbor came out and got the dog to leave. They called the cops because the dog had bitten multiple people and nothing can be done unless they continue to report vicious behavior. The cops came and issued ANOTHER vicious dog warning, and left, doing nothing. That was kind of the final straw. We couldn't even walk to the park anymore. It was just a few houses away from ours that this dog lived, and with the cops doing absolutely nothing, I now had one more reason I didn't feel safe going outside.
So I called my landlord, and told her it wouldn't work for us, and explained it all to her. Unfortunately we had signed a year lease, with a buyout option that would be way more then we could afford. But we needed to get out of there. She worked with us and agreed to only keep our security deposit and not charge us any more rent, or a buy out fee. So I immediately got on the phone and called another lady on a beautiful new town home we had looked at and loved. It worked out so great that we got to move in 2 days later. It is SO much nicer! 2200 square feet (all finished). 2 car garage, big family room downstairs and play area. 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, huge master bathroom and closet. Perfect! We LOVE it, and love the neighborhood. Devry and I loaded the moving truck by ourselves...then when we pulled into our new house, a man came by with his kids to help start unloading. He turned out to be the bishop of our church, and he got on the phone and got a few more guys from Church to come help. The truck was empty in 45 minutes! There are lots of great families around with little kids. Our Ward for Church is great, with lots of young families with kids. I've made some good friends already! We are mostly unpacked and trying to get settled. The house is in a neighboring community to Rock Springs called Green River. It is a much more family friendly community, and we like it so much more! We are right across the street from the Rec Center, and there are tons of parks! It is about a 15 minute drive for Devry to work, so not too bad.
On Sunday night, Devry had to leave to work out of town for 2 weeks. They sent him to Casper Wy this time. It was hard having him go, but not because we felt unsafe or anything. We love our new house, and our new neighborhood. The kids are adjusting well. We closed on the sale of our house last week (yeah it was SUPPOSED to close by the end of august....ended up being the 2nd week of october!)
Moving and change in general is hard. But it was SO nice to see Devry every single day for 4 weeks straight. That hasn't happened since I had the twins, and before that last summer. Being on my own with the kids for 2 weeks is so worth it to see him every day for 4 weeks straight.
We have a very busy few months ahead. Devry's next week off we have two trips to salt lake for a Dr's appointment for Cohen and then surgery. 2/3 of my boys have hit the genetic lottery with both having a hypospadias. Very minor...small surgery to repair it as babies, just a pain for any baby to have surgery. I'm anxious for it to be over.
Then his next week off is American Thanksgiving, so we are going to spend it with Devry's parents in Idaho.
Then his next week off we are flying to Nova Scotia!! I have such mixed feelings about this trip. OF COURSE I am SO EXCITED to go home, to see my family, for everyone to meet the twins. BUT the way it will work is Devry will fly us there and spend his week off. Then he will fly back alone and work for 2 weeks, over Christmas. Then his next week off he will fly back to NS and spend that week there, then we will all fly back. It was the only way it would work. The airlines will not let me fly alone with two babies, not that I'd want to, but I would to avoid Devry having to fly back and forth over and over. I am excited to be home for Christmas, but SO sad not to get to spend Christmas with him. It's been 6 years since I've been able to be home for Christmas. I am really looking forward to a month with my Family.
So the last month has been crazy, and so will the next 3!
And on to some Pictures!
My friend Suzy started doing photography. The day she announced she was officially doing it as a business, I booked her! She is so talented! Our husband's went to high school and played basketball together, and we went through nursing school together, so it was so great to be able to see her, and meet her DARLING miracle baby Lucy! check out her site at http://suzyholmanphotography.blogspot.com
And here are some of the amazing photos she took!















5 comments:
the pics are great! I just booked pics for us end of Nov. Devry is such a great guy, flying twice to help you w/ the kids, good stuff. I'm so glad you got out of that awful townhouse! what a crazy start to your move.
Oh my goodness, I love the fall pictures, she did a great job! I really hope to get some soon of my family! I am so glad that you love your new place and are making friends! We miss you! Let me know if you run into an old friend of mine, Sara Murphy, I guess she is living in Rock Springs, but you never know.
The pictures are so cute! Do you know if you have a Cozzens family in your ward? Sam and Stephanie and their five girls? He's my uncle. :)
I love your family pictures! She definitely did an amazing job. I am so glad that you guys were able to find such a great place to live. And how awesome it is that your bishop came over to help you move in....I bet that was such a different feeling compared to your first neighborhood. I am SOO glad that you feel safe though. Brandt and I live 45 minutes away from the school and we pay more in rent...but it is so worth it to me to feel safe while he is gone almost all day every day except Sundays.
Wow! I can't believe you had to move twice! What a crazy story! I keep dog spray on my stroller because Ben is VERY allergic to dogs and there are always THOSE people who think the rights of their dogs come first... It is good that you found a place you are happy with! How fun to get to go home for a month, enjoy!!!
Post a Comment