I am going to run a half marathon this August. I'm scared to death because I am horribly out of shape with running, but I have 15 weeks to train and I WILL do it!
The weather is finally cooperating and I have run 3 times this week. I can run 3-4 miles without getting tired or sore, so I think its an ok place to start. Next week I want to bump it up to 5 miles.
My dilemma is trying to stick to a routine. Shift work makes that impossible. I work 3 nights a week, and they are ALWAYS different. For example, this week I work monday, friday, saturday. Then next week Sunday, wednesday, thursday. Then monday, tuesday thursday. You get the picture. So saying I will run every monday, wednesday, thursday and Saturday (like my training schedule suggests) is not going to work. I know...tons of people work as much as I do and still workout on the days they work. I have learned that the only people who really understand what it is like to work full time nights with a child is those who do it. The only thing I can compare it to is when you pull an all nighter to finish an assignment...but that assignment involves you being on your feet for 10 of the 12 hours you are working on it, and also being responsible in part for the life of another person. Then you have to be semi coherent the next day because you are in charge of taking care of something (in my case, my child). And then repeat that 3 nights a week. Sometimes back to back, which means I work 2 or 3 12 hour shifts on 2-4 hours of sleep in between. So yeah....going running goes to the bottom of my priority list. Functioning is really my only priority.
So I am going to try my best. And my training schedule will be random. Some weeks I will run 4 times, others it may only be 2. I will try to fit in a long run at some point each week.
The half marathon I have decided to run is the Mesa Falls one.
http://mesafallsmarathon.com/
I'm a horrible running partner...because all I really want to do is listen to my i-pod, but if anyone in the Rexburg area wants to train with me, and maybe even run the half with me, let me know! And anyone not in this area, if you want to train with me from a distance I'd love to hear about it! Moral support!
I am going to try to track my progress by blogging. So sorry for the boring "running" posts that you will all get to read over the next 3 1/2 months. Thanks for the support!
6 comments:
Yay that is awesome Chels! I bet that will be a beautiful half. I will try to train with you from a distance. I haven't exercised in forever and there aren't any halfs for me to sign up for, but I will do it for fun!
You can do it! My friend casey works night as a nurse too and has 2 kids....she ran the half with us....but she is way faster. We met at the gym a few times and ran and did headphones. My other friend and i would run long runs and talk the entire time. Hopefully you find someone to mesh with. You will be so happy when u finish the race, it is a really emotional experience and your legs are going to look so good!!! I would love to come run it too! Mmm...i will have to think about it. But the difference in elevation scares me, i would not be used to it. Goodluck!!
Chelsea! Glad I came along your blog. I was thinking of signing up for the Mesa falls run too! I started doing my runs last week. I'll follow your progress.
if you want to bring payton over here so you can get some runs in, don't hesitate to call!
I am now going to look into doing this run! it would be a fun place to do one. you are an inspiration for challenging yourself on this even though you have so much other things going on. I know what you mean when you schedule isn't consistent and its hard to stay motivated when you can't get in a routine. You'll do great though!
What a great goal. I ran the 5k last August at the Mesa Falls Marathon and my husband did the half marathon. Maybe I will consider doing the half with you if I never get pregnant this summer.
Post a Comment