Although I turned 21 in February, I officially got the "i'm an adult feeling" when I got my first real paycheck, and almost a third was taken out in taxes. I knew because I would be making more, more would come out, but I didn't realize exactly how MUCH more. Its somewhat depressing really. 20 hours of work all gone before I ever saw the paycheck. The really new thing for me is health insurance. Because I'm from Canada, health insurance isn't something we ever had to go buy. It was just there. Of course I never saw the huge tax deductions from paychecks that my parents have, but it seems so silly to me to pay an insurance company tons of money when they hardly cover anything. I finally had to bite the bullet and go to the dentist today. My teeth have been hurting for a couple months, but since dental isn't covered at all on our health insurance, I put off going until I was making enough money to afford it. I went to the dentist every 6 months of my life until I got married, with only one cavity ever. Its been a long year and a half with no dental care. The outcome wasnt the rotting decaying teeth I had anticipated, only 2 cavities. One is very small and the other is a little bigger. But still....it will cost me almost $400 to get them fixed. Can I just go back to being 16,care free, having no taxes taken from my paychecks, and having my parents insurance cover anything I ever needed? This "adult" thing isn't all its cracked up to be.
On the other hand....
I love having a "real" job. I am really enjoying the mother baby unit. My boss asked me the other day if I will orient to do labor and delivery. I had to hold myself back from jumping up and screaming "YES!!" I have always wanted to do labor and delivery. It is the main reason I went into nursing. I thought I wouldnt have the opportunity to orient to L&D for several years, but my boss needed someone sooner, and so I get to do both! I calmly told her that I would absolutely love to. She walked off and I called Devry right away to tell him the great news! I start orientation in January for L&D. I can't wait!
Other exciting events....
Well, other then work and the few classes I am taking, not much is new. I was very excited to find out that I won an IPOD at work. I had entered a drawing for attending a meeting, and was one of the 3 that won! I was going to get one for Christmas from Devry, but now he can find something else to get me. :)
I am officially an Aunt of six now. Devry's Brother Joe and his wife Lisa had baby #3 today. A little boy they named Nolan. Devry's other brother Dan and his wife Rachelle are going to have their 3rd in February, which will be grandchild #7. Here is a picture that was taken in May. With new baby's coming all the time, family pictures will never be up to date.
2 comments:
that is great about L&D...of course just going through all that, i hope not to see any L&D nurses for a while! you'll be good at that, hopefully people won't yell at you too much.
sorry about the dental bill...too bad you're not in pocatello...joe had a ton of dental work done at the hygenist school at ISU for pretty cheap.
well this is our first night with nolan at home....i hope he sleeps a while, i'm exhausted!
What a good looking bunch!
Post a Comment