Devry got a call on Monday from Ryder (trucking company in Michigan). He has heard from them about a diesel mechanic position a few times. Well they called to let him know they wanted an interview...on Friday! He had already asked for a phone interview, but the secretary said they wouldn't do a phone interview. Devry and I talked about it and decided he'd better go. After looking at plane tickets, we decided we could afford for both of us to go. So I traded a shift, we asked some wonderful family members to watch Payton for us for 3 days, and we booked the flights, hotel and rental car.
I spent all day Tuesday packing and cleaning, then worked tuesday night. We left as soon as I got home Wednesday morning. We dropped Payton off and headed to Salt Lake. We were so glad we had family to watch Payton. It would have been so hard to take him, since we wouldn't get into Detroit until late at night, and we had 2 1/2 days of craziness. So we flew out at 2pm, and arrived in Detroit at midnight. We got our rental and drove to Livonia (where the Ryder place is..about 30 minutes outside of Detroit). We found our hotel and crashed. I had maybe slept 3 hours off and on while driving and flying since 7am on Tuesday morning, and it was 1:30 am Thursday morning.
I had made a few phone calls on our drive to Salt Lake to some hospitals. Some nurse recruiters had gotten back to me and set up interviews. My first meeting was at 8 am on Thursday morning. It went well, except they didn't have any Labor and Delivery positions open. But they said if any open up I will most likely get it since I have experience.
Then we drove to Ann Arbor. We went and saw University of Michigan, and a bit of the area. Then I had another interview at 3:30. I met with the Nurse recruiter, who told me a bit about the hospital. Then I met with the nurse manager over L&D. She asked me a bit about my experience, then gave me an "unofficial" offer. She said I should expect to hear from the HR person this week with the official offer. The hospital was SO nice. Brand new L&D unit, with 6 high risk rooms, 14 LDR's, 6 Antepartum rooms, and 8 triage rooms. It is a teaching hospital, so there would be residents, and 24/7 EVERYTHING. Pay is really good, and the people seemed very nice. I was impressed with it, and think I would enjoy working there.
Then we did a bit of shopping, and saw more of the area. We were starting to get a bit more oriented to the area and could start to pick out areas we would want to live.
We returned to the hotel and crashed again.
Friday morning Devry went to his interview. It went really well, except for a couple of things. The hiring manager asked why they didn't just do a phone interview. When Devry told him the secretary said he wouldn't do it, the guy was like "oh i'll need to talk to her, there is no reason you needed to come out for this." ugh. frustrating. It was more of a preliminary interview anyways. There are 2 more people who will have to interview him (but the guy said they will make sure to do that over the phone). AND he found out what the shift is (which was posted nowhere, and noone said anything about it before this). It is a 3pm to 11pm shift. That would be VERY hard for us, since my shifts would be 7pm to 7am. That would leave at least 4 hours where we would have to find someone to watch payton, and we don't know anyone there.
The hiring manager did mention a job that is going to be opening up at a different shop, in Ann Arbor (way closer to my job). He put his application in for that position as well. If he got that one it would work much better.
On Friday afternoon we drove around and saw a few houses available to rent, and continued to get a better idea of what area we liked best. I heard from a few more nurse recruiters and managers from other hospitals. I am starting to get the feeling that experienced labor nurses are in hard to find, because every person I talked to was VERY interested in hiring me.
Then we flew back to SLC friday night, and drove to Rexburg. We pulled in around 4am, slept for 2 hours, and went to pick up Payton at 6:30. I slept a bit more that day, then went to work.
It was a very exhausting, but fun week. We enjoyed going and seeing the area, and enjoyed some time alone together.
Our problem now is that we have NO CLUE what to do next. If we both get job offers it would probably mean moving before selling our house, which is scary. It will mean moving to an area that we don't know anyone, or have the help and support with Payton that we do here. But there are just no opportunities here for Devry.
Devry also interviewed for a Diesel Mechanic position in North Dakota, working in the Oil Fields. That went GREAT, except that he has a bachelor's degree. Apparently being a high school drop out is just fine, but if you have an education you have to go through this huge process to be considered. The guy who interviewed him was really impressed and wanted to hire him, but he had to go through the Senior recruiter since Devry has a degree. He got a call today to go for an interview tomorrow with the Sr. Recruiter. That job definitely has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages:
- LOTS of money. He will get paid VERY well, and I can cut back to part time (or maybe even less). We will be able to save alot of money, and pay off our car.
- Training - They want to hire people that they can train. They are impressed with his experience working on a farm, but are glad he hasn't been trained by another shop/company. I guess they like to do it their way.
- Experience - So many jobs require experience, and Devry really doesn't have much as a mechanic. He has TONS on a farm, which includes fixing everything, but not technically as a technician. This will give him a lot of experience, and qualify him for more jobs in the future.
- It is in North Dakota. Or maybe Wyoming, depends on where they need him. If it were in ND, they fly him back and forth. He would would 15 days on, then have 6 days off. WY would be the same, except it is closer (4 hrs away), so he would drive back and forth. It would be very hard to be here without him the majority of the time. We would only do it for a year (max).....but still it would be SO hard.
- We would have to get a babysitter for Payton the nights I work. I would probably just hire a student (who I trust) to come over, put him to bed and stay the night here. It would be an easy job, but still hard to leave him that often with someone else.
We don't really know what we will do. We are trying to be positive and look at all of our options. We know something will work out, but its just hard to see what. We are trying to be prayerful about our decisions, and have faith that it will work out.