When deciding to try for another baby we were very hesitant because of the serious complications I had with the twins.
I consulted with 2 OB/GYN's and a perinatologist about my history and was told by all 3 that with careful management they felt confidant I could have another baby.
We decided that although I have a history of infertility, we didn't want to increase the chance of twins again with medications. We decided to try to get pregnant and if it couldn't happen without medications then we would be ok with being done. After 8 months without success I was worried it wouldn't happen. I did some research and talked to a couple of OB/GYN's, and decided to follow a very strict diet with no sugar or carbs. I did that for 3 months, and in the process lost 30 lbs. On the third month I got pregnant.
We were very excited! But also very nervous. The problems I had last time were life threatening for me. We decided to see my OB, who is WONDERFUL here in Rock Springs, but also consult with a high risk Maternal Fetal Medicine Dr. in Salt Lake City. Initially I saw him and he developed a plan of care based on history of pre-eclampsia. I would see both Doctors, and where I delivered would depend on if my blood pressure goes up and at what point in pregnancy. I felt great, my blood pressure was great, and I was doing everything I could to prevent complications. I was in great hands with my doctors and was at ease about the pregnancy. Devry was scheduled for wrist surgery and would have to take some time off work for recovery, so I signed up for an 8 week travel nursing contract to Jackson again to help make up the difference financially. I would be finished the contract at 25 weeks, before any of the problems I have had would begin. I was feeling GREAT and my Doctors both said it would be fine to work that period of time.
Then last Monday I woke up bleeding.
As a labor and delivery nurse I am very comfortable with knowing how much bleeding can be normal in pregnancy and in what situations so I knew the amount of bleeding I was having was not normal and something wasn't right.
I called my friend who works in my OB's office. She said they didn't have an opening until 2:30 but she would talk to my Dr. as soon as he got there. A few minutes later I get a call from my Dr. I had worked with him for a couple of years, and know him well. He said to come in right away and he would get me in. I went in and luckily a spot with the ultrasound machine had opened up at the perfect time and he was able to look at things. He found a couple of concerns on the ultrasound. First, my placenta is "low-lying." This means that the placenta is low in my uterus. Typically that alone isn't a huge deal as it normally resolves as pregnancy progresses, but because of the location of the placenta, the bleeding I was having was low in my uterus, right over my cervix. There was a small area of blood that had accumulated, called a subchorionic hemorrhage. The baby looked good. He was able to confirm that the baby was a girl. He said to go home and take it easy. Not strict bed rest, but decrease my activity, no heavy lifting, exercise, strenuous activity etc until the bleeding stopped. I also needed to stop taking the Low dose Aspirin I was on to prevent pre-eclampsia.
And he was ADAMANT that I call him personally if the bleeding gets worse or with any other concerns.
I went home monday, and took it easy. My bleeding started decreasing to the point on Tuesday that it was hardly noticeable. We decided we wanted to tell the boys. At that point they didn't know I was even pregnant. We had a fun time telling them they were going to have a baby sister! We felt so much love and support when we made the fun announcement! It seemed like things were improving. Tuesday and Wednesday were much better!
I went to bed Wednesday night at 10. At midnight I woke up and realized I was soaked with blood. Through a pad and all of my clothes. I got up to the bathroom and had another large gush of blood. I was scared. It was WAY too much bleeding. I decided to wait and watch it. It decreased some through the rest of the night so I waited. I spent the night tossing, turning and crying. I was so nervous I would go in the next day to find out I lost the baby.
I text my Dr at 7:45 Thursday morning and said "I am bleeding A lot more. Can you call me when you have a minute."
He is pretty awesome. He called me right away and said come in right away. Devry had a class he couldn't miss for work, so I took my boys to a friends house (I have the best friends!) and headed in.
I got there at 8:30 and was greeted by my good friend Makayla, who works there. She checked me in and within minutes Dr. Wheeler was in the ultrasound room. I could hardly hold it together and he was concerned too. He put the ultrasound on and immediately saw a strong heartbeat and baby girl moving around. I started crying from the relief I felt.
He looked at the bleeding and said the area of the subchoronic hemorrhage had grown. He said I needed to cancel my work contract, and go on bed rest until the bleeding resolves. I had blood work done and was given Rhogam for my negative blood type. I went home and parked it on the couch.
The amazing support I felt from family and friends was incredible. I had so many calls, text, messages, posts etc with offers to help with my kids, or meals, or any way I needed. My mom was traveling, but I got a hold of her Friday morning and she immediately made plans to come help me.
Devry was scheduled for surgery on Tuesday morning. We coordinated my next Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) appointment for the day before. I saw Dr. Wheeler again monday morning who said the bleed was big but looked like it was clotted. Then we headed to Salt lake to my MFM appt.
An ultrasound tech did a very thorough ultrasound of the baby and the bleeding. Dr. Esplin (my MFM), came in after reviewing the ultrasound and spent a while explaining what was found. He did an ultrasound himself to look and show us what was going on. He said he was quite concerned with the subchorionic hemorrhage. It is a very large one, and since it is happening in my second trimester, the risks are much higher. He explained that 3 things could happen- 1. My body absorbs the blood (best case, and the least chance of problems), 2. I pass the blood (next best case), or 3. The blood stays there. This is concerning because any blood in that area causes irritation of the uterus. The blood staying there would significantly increase my chance of preterm labor or my water breaking early. Those things could potentially happen at any time. The hard part was hearing that there is nothing that can be done right now. If my body went into labor or my water broke between now and 24 weeks, I loose the baby. So I stay on bed rest, and watch the bleeding very closely to see if it is decreasing or not. If I get to 24 weeks and the bleeding and cramping is still there, he says I will probably have to go stay in Salt Lake City in case my water breaks or I go into labor. If that happened here, she wouldn't make it, but being there would give us access to the most advanced NICU and the chances of her making it are much higher.
There is a chance the bleeding will absorb or pass, and I could go full term with no problems. We just don't know. We are praying that is what happens. Or at least that I get to a point that she can come with minimal problems.
I am so grateful for the love and concern I have felt from people. I have some AMAZING friends who take my kids, run errands for me, bring me meals, send me words of encouragement and concern, or simply spend time with me to help me stay sane. My mom is here and helping so much. The boys ADORE her and she spends so much time with them. She cooks and cleans. She is a WONDERFUL help and having her here gives me such a calm feeling. Nothing is better then having your mom around when you're down.
And Devry. I can't say enough about him. He had surgery yesterday and is already back up and taking care of kids, helping with meals, getting me anything I need. He is an exceptional man. He cleans, cooks, takes care of EVERYTHING around the house and does all of it willingly. He sees things that need done and does them. He will be off for 3 weeks from his surgery. I know he will spend most of his time helping me rest and taking care of everything else. I don't know what I would do without him.
We could have a long road a head of us with this little girl. We appreciate all the thoughts, prayers and support.

4 comments:
Wow Chelsey!! How scary, hopefully everything turns out ok with you and baby girl, you'll be in our prayers :)
We have been reading your blog and so sorry to know you are having such a hard time. It sounds like with all your help and care that you are getting that you will be able to rest and hopefully with good results. Glad to hear that your Mom is with you.
Love Nanny and Pam
Oh, wow. That's a lot! I am glad you have the help you need, it sounds like you are being well taken care of. Best wishes, we will be praying for you and your sweet little princess!
Hi Chelsey. I cannot imagine what this must feel like. I will pray for you, and your baby girl every day. I love you xo
Kathy ( and Kayleigh too)
Post a Comment