Well, the last week has been very eventful. It is so wonderful with these two little guys here!
It was a surprise for all of us that they came early.
I posted about how I went to the Dr. on tuesday the 13th. My bp was up and I was dilated to a 2, so I got put on "semi" bed rest. I went back in thursday, mostly because of a horrible cold I had. My bp was even higher, so he told me to really take it easy and come in or go to the hospital with any signs of labor or problems from bp.
Then Friday I contracted most of the day. Nothing too strong or too regular, unless I got off the couch. Saturday they got much more intense. From like 1-4 I contracted every 2-4 minutes and they got pretty intense. They died down though, so I decided to wait it out a bit more. Then Saturday night, I was up most of the night contracting. From 3am on I didn't sleep, and was breathing through them. I decided that since Devry was supposed to leave to go back to Rock Springs that day, It would be a smart idea to go get checked before he left. We went to the hospital at 7am. I got put on the monitor, and immediately me and the other nurses were concerned with Cohen's heart rate. The baseline was 170 (normal is 110-150), and he really didn't look great. Then Kendra checked me, and I was 3 and 90% effaced. Then she checked my bp several times. It was really high...160/100, 156/97...etc. So she called Dr. Lovell (who was on call for the office I go to). He wanted some labs run and said he would be right in. The blood work came back ok, but I had 2+ protein in my urine. This is a sign that the elevated bp's are causing problems with other organs in my body...which of course is concerning for the babies. When bp are up and there is proteinuria, it is officially considered pre-eclampsia (before the protein, it is just pregnancy induced hypertension)...so it becomes much more concerning and the risks are much higher. He wanted me admitted, and watched for the morning. He started me on a medication called magnesium sulfate, which helps with the bp's and decreases the chances of major problems like seizures. The downside is that the medication makes you feel like CRAP. It made me hot, flushed, have a horrible headache, and just feel lousy. So all morning, he kind of just wanted to me to hang out, keep an eye on my bp's and the babies, and then decide what to do. Also, I didn't ever get tested for Group B strep, so they wanted to treat me with antibiotics for that (it takes 4 hours). Barb was my nurse, which was awesome! She was incredible! Through the morning, I contracted, but they really weren't as intense as they needed to be (which also could be from the mag sulfate..since it acts as a muscle relaxer too).
Here is a picture of me hanging out in the morning. I realized after I was there that I never took a 35 week belly picture. So as much as you can't really tell how big I am, here is my 35 week and final belly pic!
So a bit after noon, I was rechecked. I was 4cm and completely effaced...so nothing too active with my contractions. Luckily Cohen's heart rate had come down some and was looking much better. But with everything going on He decided it was time to get things going. I requested my epidural before breaking my water and of course he agreed. I got my epidural, and Dr. Lovell came in at 3pm and broke my water. Over the next 2 ish hours they let me just contract on my own. They weren't as close together as we wanted, so around 4:45 they started a tiny bit of pitocin. It really didn't have time to take effect when I started having some breakthrough pain with my epidural. I felt some pressure and pains through my hips. Barb checked me at 5:20 and I was 7cm. Apparently my spaced out contractions still were working pretty good. I had to deliver back in the OR for multiple reason. First of all, there is a window directly to the NICU for the babies, and second of all if there was an emergency and I needed a c-section they want me back there and ready to go. They decided to move me back to the OR and get ready. Dr Lovell came in and got ready for delivery. I was a bit surprised since I was only 7cm..but then he checked me and I was complete. I pushed for 3 contractions, and Cohen was born at 5:36. They put him up on my chest, cut the cord and took him to the NICU. He came out crying and pinked up right away!
Then...I faced the part of delivery I was most nervous about. Things can go wrong between the delivery of the 2 babies. My worst fear was delivering the first, then having something go wrong and needing a c-section for the second. So I got a bit nervous, but then Dr. Lovell checked me and says "here's another head." He broke Kayson's water, then I pushed one time and out he came. As smooth as it possibly could have gone. They put him up on me and immediately we saw a little blond head boy who looked so different then his brother! He was taken to the NICU as well.
Dr. Lovell spent about 30 seconds stitching me. Then delivered the placenta's, and before I knew it I was headed back to L&D to recover.
Recovery was long, since I was just anxious to get to the NICU. Devry was able to go in and see the boys and get a few pictures. Of course I was very well cared for by Nancy!
Here is Cohen William. He was born at 5:36 and weighed 5 lbs 14 oz and was 19 inches long.
And here is Kayson Wayne. He was born at 5:41, weighed 5 bs, 6 oz and was also 19 inches long.
Both boys did great after delivery! They gave them a medication into their lungs called surfactant. It helps mature their lungs and has such a good outcome. Initially they were on a bit of oxygen but were weaned from it very quickly.
After a couple of hours I got to go in and see the boys! It is still amazing how small they are!
As far as I go...The rest of my hospital stay was great! I had wonderful nurses, and just spent most of the time in the NICU. The first night, they weren't feeding the boys at all, so I got to sleep for several hours. It was really nice. What a world of difference it is to not have tons of stitches!! I really only needed pain medication for cramping. It's nice to be able to walk, sit, stand and not have pain! I had some pretty serious complications after I was discharged....resulting in being re admitted to the hospital..but in the ICU this time. Things are much better now. I will post more about it all later.
Now on to the boys!
They were admitted into the NICU, given surfactant, oxygen and started on IV's for antibiotics, fluids and a bit of nutrition. Very routine for 35 week twins. They did so well the first night, they were weaned off the oxygen quickly. Monday morning a different pediatrician came on, and made a bit of a game plan with us. One of the bad things about the boys being in the NICU is that we don't get to choose their Dr. It's just whichever pediatrician is on call. We normally use a family practice Dr, but that would have to wait until they were discharged. The pediatrician who came on is good, but is extra cautious with any problems, and tends to keep babies in the NICU longer then anyone else. He wanted to start them feeding, but fully expected them to have feeding tubes by the end of the day. Then we would work with them over the next days and weeks to get them to full feeds. I was very determined to get them eating well as soon as possible. I wanted them home with us! So I went in for every feeding and worked at nursing them. They did amazing! They latched on easily, and ate so well! They usually did 15 minutes wide awake and vigorous, then I would tickle them and bug them to stay awake for another 5-10 to make sure they had really good feedings. Every feeding went great, so the Dr. agreed to hold off on feeding tubes. So many people kept telling us not to get to excited about them eating so well. I guess normally, 35-37 week babies may have a day or so that go great, then get worn out and lazy. All the nurses and Dr's kept saying they were just waiting for that to happen and put feeding tubes in. But it didn't! They kept nursing great, and taking full feedings. They never needed feeding tubes. I did every feeding monday, tuesday and wednesday and they always did so good!
Then on wednesday, a neonatologist came for weekly rounds and to consult on the boys. He was given some background information, then info on how they were doing. He immediately said "Ok so what is their weaning schedule for the IV's?? If they are eating, get those IV's out and as long as they keep eating well with no IV's they can get home!" So they were started on a weaning schedule for the IV's. I finally went home wednesday night and missed 2 feedings so I could get some rest. By thursday morning their IV's were out and they were still eating just as well. My milk had come in, so they were actually eating much more. The pediatrician came in, and surprised us all by saying they could come home that afternoon! We were thrilled! He kept saying over and over how surprised he was with them. He told me that when he decided to let them start feeding, he never ever expected them to actually do it, and that they need to give other babies lessons.
35 week twins that are boys, and only in the NICU for 4 days!! I'm so glad my babies are such good eaters! It was so nice to get them home.
Here are some pictures of the boys in the hospital!
Cohen all hooked up to monitors, sleeping peacefully.

Kayson enjoying the heat from the warmer.

Here is the door to the room I had on MBU, all decorated. My coworkers are amazing. They took such great care of us all, and went above and beyond in every way!
Here are the twins on tuesday, when they were finally put in the same crib. It was amazing how much calmer they were next to each other. You could just tell they are so used to being so close. So sweet!
And here they are on thursday, all dressed and ready to go home!
Here is the boys, loaded up in their carseats with their proud Daddy! I'm so lucky to have Devry! He is so helpful, and never hesitates to change, burp, or hold a baby.
And a picture of each of them loaded up in their carseats.
It is so wonderful having them home. They are the sweetest boys, and such great babies!
I adore them so much! It is so great to have them here safe and sound.
8 comments:
Love it! Those boys are absolutely adorable. I am sorry about the mag,that is rough(that brings back an awful metallic taste in my mouth from my own experience with the drug) I am glad the labor and delivery went so smoothly and that they were able to go home so quickly. Have fun with all of your busy boys and enjoy every minute of it. Good luck, I miss you.
Enjoy them, they are so sweet! I am glad to hear your delivery was so smooth!
Congratulations again! I hope you are feeling back to yourself soon!
These pictures are so cute! Your boys are amazing, and you are too!
They are just PERFECT, but you already knew that. You are just such a great blogger and it makes me want to be better. Such a special memory for your boys to hear about when they were born. I am just so happy for you that they were such little champs when it came to eating... and that they got out so fast! Way to go boys!!! I'm going to share this blog with a friend who just found out she is having twins!! Congratulations!!!
Congrats on the arrival of your 2 beautiful babies. I can't believe how different they look. It will be fun to watch them grow and see if they look more alike etc when bigger.
Hope that you are doing well and adjusting to 3 kids. Is hubby around a little more to be able to help or still travelling for work?? Mine is gone away for 6 months and I'm home with 5 kids under 10 so I know how hard it is. Hope you are getting lots of help!!!
Oh, Chels, they are beautiful.
Chels they are so cute and perfect! I love the pictures of them sleeping together in the crib...that is so precious. I am so glad that they were able to come home so soon!
they are so adorable! I'm glad everything went so well. hopefully you are getting enough rest!
Post a Comment