Family pic 2013
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...
Chilly weather, Decorating the tree, hearing carols wherever you go....Christmas is coming! I am excited, but also sad. I have so many memories of Christmas with my family growing up, big famliy parties, huge Christmas Dinner, secret santas, gifts to friends and neighbours, going to see the live nativity pagent, going to grandparents, all my moms wonderful baking, and SO many more. I can't help but feel homesick during this time of year. Christmas is the biggest holiday in my family. We have so many traditions, starting at the beginning of December right up until Christmas. This will be my 3rd year being away from home for Christmas. Every year has been hard, for different reasons. The first year was my very first Christmas away from home, and my first Christmas being married. Devry's brothers all were at their inlaw's for Christmas, so we celebrated with his Parents. It was fun, but since I was so used to all the people and celebrations my family has, I was so homesick. I had a very hard time that year. Last year was dissapointing because we had booked tickets to fly home, went to salt lake, and our flights got cancelled. The good thing about last year was that Devry's brothers were here to celebrate, so it seemed a bit more like what I am used to, with lots of family. I debated going home this year, but between the price, my work schedule and being too nervous about flights getting cancelled, we decided not to. It is the year that Devry's brothers and their families will be gone, so I am trying to have a good attitude about it. I want this Christmas to be fun and exciting, since it's Payton's first. I am trying to keep some of the traditions I am used to, and also start some new ones. I am still having a very hard time being excited though. I picked up a Christmas Eve shift (for double time pay) because the money's good, and I was being very negative about my expectations for Christmas. I said to myself "if I work Christmas eve, then I can just sleep through Christmas and not feel so homesick and disapointed." I know that in order for it to be what I want, my attitude needs to change, but its hard. I want Payton to grow up loving Christmas as much as I did, but how can I do that when I am having a hard time loving it. Any pointers??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
of course, continue to enjoy old traditions, but make sure to make NEW traditions. the best part of christmas is the warm fuzzies it brings. i understand how being away from home makes it hard to feel the warm fuzzies, but you guys have such wonderful things to offer as your own little family.
last year paul and i decided to make a tradition of going to cobb ranch and making a day of buying a tree (they do fire engine rides and sell fresh kettle corn and stuff). find what they do around you and enjoy it! the sooner you make your own traditions the more you will have to look forward to each year and memories to draw on. start it now while payton's still young!
sometimes being so near family actually stunts your own traditional growth. paul and i have been here so we've missed out on making our own traditions cause everyone's here. we're trying to change that now, but it takes time.
Aww, that is hard! But ya know what, attitude is everything. I am sure that you already know that. And instead of looking at the negative side of things- look for the positives! You have your very own family now and you can start your own traditions with Payton! Make Christmas as special for Payton as your family made it for you.
oh I'm sorry :( you can fly to Ohio for Christmas if you want. it's been a long time since we've had Christmas in Idaho...it's hard to travel in the winter and the past 2 yrs we've just stayed home. You should just invite family & friends to your house....everyone bring food and play some games...then you could have lots of people around you!
It's hard, but I believe it heals with time. And for the future, the more children you have the more people there are to love and spend time with during Christmas. I'm sorry you feel so homesick, I remember crying when leaving my family after our first Christmas with them, when married. I would definately do as many fun seasonal things as you can with Devry and Payton. some ideas: Build a snowman, get yummy hot chocolate at Maverik, go out to dinner(dress up if you want), go to Denny's for breakfast on Saturday morning, go bowling, go see "blindside" at the theater, put up Christmas lights, door bell ditch some treats to neighbors houses, oh, do a twelve days of christmas for a family, and take lots of pictures when while you do all these things so that we can be jealous of all the fun you are having! These are all things I secretly wish I was doing, haha. I hope those ideas help a little, but I hear the best way to enjoy anytime of the year is to serve others, which, I think you will bring a lot of cheer that christmas eve, when you are taking care of those new heavenly babies and their mothers! Each time a baby is born just think of the little Christ child. Hope you are feeling better.
As you know...as your far away family we always had small Christmas' with only our immediate family. I am sure my parents missed being home too but it was nice to have our own traditions and we never missed out. Now is the time to concentrate on enjoying your little family and the traditions you create for them!Concentrate on all the good and distract yourself in service. One tradition we started is to do a 12 days of Christmas service project for a needy family in our community or church. Every day drop off something small or large and shovel the driveway if it needs it. If we are caught oh well but I think it is fun to forever stay annomous and something just to make you and your family feel good.
I think if you let yourself, you will be surprised at how much you will enjoy your own Christmas.
You can also invite other families over who don't have family close and of course the missionaries. Lots of other people are missing home too and that is when friends become family.
Make Paytons First Christmas memorable...if only for you:)
ps- don't you dare sleep through Christmas!!!! :P
Oh, Chelsey! I'm sorry! :(
Post a Comment