I wanted to post Payton's birth story. So here it is! It is pretty long...but I'm glad I'm writing it down now while I remember everything so well.
We went to the hospital Sunday evening for a blood pressure check. We knew that if it was high then I would stay that night. Suprisingly it wasn't! I got to come home and sleep in my own bed (although I can't say I slept very well because I was so excited!). The next morning I called the hospital to make sure things didn't get crazy overnight and that they still had a room for me. Things had actually gotten really busy, and only had room for one induction, so they put the other inductions on hold and brought me in. (Oh the perks of working there!).
I woke up having fairly regular contractions, and they were pretty uncomfortable. I was glad I was getting induced so I could just go to the hospital and not have to worry about when to go. Devry, my mom and I arrived at the hospital about 7:15, got admitted and into my room by 7:30ish. My nurse was Debbie, who was absolutely wonderful! They got me hooked up to the monitors, and the doctor came in at 8. He checked me (I was dilated to a 3), and broke my water. The bad thing was that the water had pretty thick meconium in it (silly payton didn't want to wait to come out to have a bowel movement). This can cause some complications since the meconium can be in the baby's lungs. My doctor was wonderful and started intervening right away to prevent complications. He ran fluid through a tube into my uterus to help dilute the meconium (called an amnioinfusion). He ran a large amount in the first hour, then a smaller amount gradually the entire time I was in labor. The good thing about the tube that he put in is that it also measures the contractions acurately and meant I didn't have to have annoying monitors on my belly. He also put an electrode on Paytons scalp to measure his heartbeat...another monitor that would have been on my tummy.
Devry's mom got there shortly after 8. I was excited that my mom and Devry's mom could both be there. I began contracting alot on my own after he broke my water. They were every 2-3 minutes and more and more painful each time. Since I was contracting in a really regular pattern on my own, they didn't have to start pitocin right away. After about 45 minutes, I was having a hard time breathing through the contractions. They hurt a lot! Since my doctor told me I could get my epidural anytime, I decided not to go through any pain I didnt have to. I asked for my epidural, and Debbie checked me. I was 4 cm, not too bad for 45 minutes! Because I had the blood pressure complications, there were some blood tests that needed to be run and come back normal before I was allowed to get an epidural. This took another hour. I did not enjoy that hour. Devry was wonderful! I am sure his hand is still sore from me sqeezing it so hard. When I started not being able to sit still during my contractions, I realized that getting an epidural would be difficult if I had a contraction while he was putting it in. I asked Debbie to get me some IV pain medication to take the edge off so I could sit still. It worked great! The anesthetist came in around 10am and did an amazing job!! He was quick, and even did a few extra things to make it more comfortable for me. The IV pain medication did its job and I was able to relax and sit still. Within 20 minutes I couldn't even tell when I was having a contraction! From 10:30 to 12, I dozed in and out, enjoying the time to relax. After the epidural, my contractions weren't quite as regular, so Debbie started pitocin. I was glad that didn't have to happen till I had my epidural.
This is me enjoying life after I got my epidural!
At noon the doctor came in to check on me. He checked me, and I was dilated to a 9! Since I still couldnt tell when I was having contractions we decided that I would "labor down." This means that I would just let my body do the work moving the baby down and wouldn't start pushing right away. I wasn't able to relax as easily the next hour or so, since I knew Payton would be here pretty soon! At about 1:15 I was able to tell when I was having a contraction. It wasn't painful or anything, just a little bit of pressure. Debbie checked me and I was completely dilated (and probably had been for a while). We decided to start pushing. Pushing is a lot of work, and very tiring! After about an hour of pushing I asked the anesthetist to come turn down my epidural so I could feel some more pressure. He turned it down perfectly, so i could feel the pressure to push but didn't have any pain. I pushed for another hour and 15 mi nutes, then they called the doctor to come for delivery. Two and half hours of pushing is quite a while, and I was really wondering if he was faced the wrong way, or something. Well...after he was born it was pretty obvious why it took so long....he is a big boy, AND his head was turned a little bit so he was lookng at my right leg. That makes it harder to push out. I had such wonderful support!! Devry was so amazing! He seemed to know exactly what I needed, and was very thoughtful. My mom and mother in law were also wonderful and helped in everyway they could. I was so thankful that Payton tolerated labor so well. His heartrate was perfect the entire time, with not even a single worry moment.
Anyways, the doctor came in for delivery. Because of the meconium in the water, they didn't want Payton to cry or anything until they suctioned the meconium out. Because of this, the doctor was very quick about delivering him and taking him to the nurses and respiratory therapist at the warmer so they could do everything they needed to. The doctor quickly cut the cord and ran him over there. Devry wasn't too heart broken that he didnt' get to cut it. Because the doctor was so quick about getting Payton taken care of, Payton did wonderful! They suctioned a lot out of him and he started crying and breathing just fine. His oxygen was great, and he was very vigorous. Devry went over and took pictures of Payton right away. I loved hearing him cry for the first time, and couldn't wait to hold him.
Here is Payton at the warmer. The nurse in all the pictures is Jill. She did a wonderful job and helped out so much!
Jill measuring his head. 14.5 inches.....he's got quite the melon!
I still can't believe he weighed 9 lbs, 2 oz!
They brought him over to me after about 15 minutes. It is such an amazing feeling to hold the little baby you have been carrying for 9 months. I already felt like I knew him. Devry was next to me and we both just stared at him, overjoyed to have him here.
Jill bringing Payton to me.
My decorated door. Thanks guys! I think my favorite part is that they used a absorbant pad to make the bow, how innovative :).
We spent monday night and tuesday night in the hospital, and went home wednesday. I really enjoyed being at the hospital. I had the most amazing nurses, who took such great care of us! It was so nice to bring Payton home though and get settled in.
Here is Payton in his carseat, ready to go home.
4 comments:
Sounds like you had a really good delivery experiance! Was payton induced then really? Or you never did need the pitocin?
Congrats on a great delivery and a healthy (adorable!...always a bonus!) little boy:)
He is so cute Chelsey. I'm glad everything went well. I love the pictures of you holding him skin to skin. You look really good! Anyway, enjoy the baby stage because it goes fast and definetly enjoy your leave.
Congrats!! He sure is a cute little boy! Tons of hair.. I love it!
I'm glad your induction went so smoothly, that's about as good as it can get. And Payton is darling. Congratulations!
Post a Comment