Family pic 2013

Family pic 2013

Friday, December 26, 2008

What a Day!

Partly because I am beyond frusturated right now, and partly because I am about to collapse from exhaustion, I am going to blog about today, and leave Christmas stories for another time. After a wonderful Christmas Eve and Day (like I said, more details to come later), Devry and I came home to pack and get ready for our early morning departure to Halifax. We caught the shuttle from Rexburg to salt lake city at 3:30 AM, arrived in Salt lake in plenty of time. Checked in, went through security and wandered around waiting for our flight to board. Everything was looking great! 5 minutes after the listed boarding time, we hear the announcement. "Chicago airport is delayed because of weather, flight #### (don't know the number, but our flight) is delayed to leave at 2pm instead of 11am. Connecting flights have been arranged for all passengers, please talk to a representative with any questions." Ok I can deal with delays, as long as its reasonable. I went to talk to the lady, and when I tell her we are connecting to a flight to halifax, her response was "oh, yeah, you guys" How comforting. She told us our flight had been cancelled completely and there was no way we could get there until the same flight the next day. She found a red eye flight which would have had us in 4 different cities with potential delays and/or cancellations. After talking to my parents and Devry's parents, we regretfully decided the smartest thing to do would be to try to get a refund. We figured the chances of getting stranded somewhere in the middle of here and there were too high and we didn't have any days to work with. I was really upset, and probably looked like an idiot walking through the entire airport crying. As much as it made sense to get a refund, It was still a total disapointment to not get to go home and see my family. So after getting a refund (which was actually really nice, because airlines typically give credit to their company), and our luggage back, we called the shuttle company and got on the next shuttle Back to rexburg. Another long 51/2 hour drive (it should be 4 or less but weather was bad and we had stops). 16 hours after leaving rexburg, we were returning, exhausted, cranky, and upset. Oh what a wonderful day.

2 comments:

lisa h. said...

oh i'm so sorry. it's been a while since we've flown to ID in the winter and when we do we always get delayed. we had to spend one Christmas in a hotel in Detroit because of cancelled flights - i was not happy.

can't wait to hear about your Christmas though!

Christa said...

Man, that sucks! I'm so sorry. At least you can be glad you didn't get stuck in some random city all alone though. Making it halfway would've been worse (in my opinion).